About the Goldsboro book clubs
I am not usually a big fan of book clubs, mainly because I like to choose my own books – but also because I don’t have space for every new debut, let alone all the extras that many of the subscription clubs send out. However, I have one exception to this rule, and that is Goldsboro’s Book of the Month Club.
Goldsboro Books is an independent bookstore in London that specialises in first editions and signed books. From 2005 to 2019, they served a community of booklovers through a subscription book club originally called the “Book of the Month (BOTM)” service. However, in 2020 they essentially split the club and they currently offer two subscription choices – “PREM1ER” is their main club – this club includes unique, first edition, signed custom designed hardbacks in a variety of different styles and genres (although I personally think there’s a bit of a skew towards crime); and the Goldsboro Books Sci-Fi and Fantasy Fellowship (GSFF), which includes signed limited editions of new fantasy and science fiction titles.
The books are almost always first printings of first editions. Many volumes have exclusive features like sprayed or stencilled page edges. Every book comes extremely well packaged, postage is pretty reasonable for internationals, the dust jackets are hand-covered in archival cellophane wraps by the delightful staff, and in addition to the books, subscribers also get 15% off all other book purchases from the shop and early notification of other books.
Beautiful books review
I love the Goldsboro clubs, and highly recommend them! The books are selected by book lovers with many years of experience in the trade, and not only do they have excellent taste if you’re a reader, but many of their limited edition books have increased in value by exorbitant amounts which is also nice if you’re investing. You are notified in advance of upcoming titles, which means you can skip them if they aren’t to your liking (although many members keep them for resale, as there is often a strong market for their exclusive editions). Shipping is reasonable for internationals, but consequently untracked (depends on your location but I pay about £7 to Australia) and you should be aware that the books can arrive quite a long time after their release date, which is frustrating if it’s a title you really want to read right now.
Once the books are sold, they typically disappear from the website, so I’ve added this page for collectors who might be interested in checking out earlier offerings from the club. I have added photos for all the books from 2016 onwards, along with details about limitations and other collecting notes. I have been a member off and on for years, depending on finances and space, but I am missing a couple of the earliest books from the list – I am backfilling as I come across the missing ones , but if you’re also a long-time collector, please do feel free to suggest details of anything not yet in the list in the comments.
I should note that the club often has a waiting list, and the size of the limitations has been steadily growing over the years. These days there are currently around 2000 copies produced per title, and although this number is much smaller than competitors such as FairyLoot and Illumicrate, it does make them less exclusive/valuable than they used to be. If you are looking for backlist copies, best quality editions will be found at the Goldsboro bookshop itself if they still have them, followed by Abes (typically where collector’s offload their copies), then eBay as a last resort.
List last updated August 2022.
Complete list of GSFF Titles (2020-ongoing)
2020 GSFF Books
A Declaration of the Rights of Magicians – HG Parry
1000 copies. Exclusive UK hardback. First book in the Shadow Histories series. (Note: Goldsboro did not release the sequel A Radical Act of Free Magic, and there is no matching UK hardback available – the US hardback is larger in size).
2021 GSFF Books
2022 GSFF Books
Complete list of Prem1er Titles (2020-ongoing)
2020 Prem1er Books
2021 Prem1er Books
2022 Prem1er Books
List of Goldsboro's Book of the Month Titles (2005-2019)
- January – Winter in Madrid – CJ Sansom → Check Abes | eBay
- February – The Meaning of Night – Michael Cox → Check Abes | eBay
- August – Half of a Yellow Sun – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Slipcased. 250 copies. → Check Abes | eBay
- September – White Man Falling – Mike Stocks. Variant cover. 250 copies. → Check Abes | eBay
- October – The Book Thief – Marcus Zusak. → Check Abes | eBay
- January – A Gentle Axe – R. N. Morris. 500 copies. → Check Abes | eBay
- February – Salmon Fishing in the Yemen – Paul Torday. Slipcased. 250 copies. → Check Abes | eBay
- March – Raw Shark Texts – Steven Hall. Slipcased. → Check Abes | eBay
- April – Borderlands – Brian McGilloway. → Check Abes | eBay
- May – Crow Stone – Jenny Mills. Slipcased. 250 copies. → Check Abes | eBay
- June – Resistance – Owen Sheers. Slipcased. 250 copies. → Check Abes | eBay
- July – The End of Mr Y – Scarlett Thomas. Slipcased. → Check Abes | eBay
- August – Incendiary – Chris Cleave. 500 copies. → Check Abes | eBay
- September – Random Acts of Heroic Love – Danny Scheinmann. → Check Abes | eBay
- October – Sepulchre – Kate Mosse. Slipcased. 500 copies. → Check Abes | eBay
- November – Girl Meets Boy – Ali Smith. → Check Abes | eBay
- December – A Town Called Immaculate – Peter Anthony. → Check Abes | eBay
- January – Company of Liars – Karen Maitland. Leatherette boards. 250 copies.
- February – The Irresistible Inheritance of Wilberforce – Paul Torday. Slipcased. 250 copies.
- March – Broken – Daniel Clay. Hardback exclusive.
- April – Cathedral of the Sea – Ildefonso Falcones
- May – Sleepwalker’s Introduction to Flight – Sion Scott-Wilson
- July – The Last Days of the Lacuna Cabal – Sean Dixon. 250 copies.
- August – The Other Hand – Chris Cleave. Slipcased. 250 copies.
- September – Firmin – Sam Savage. Slipcased. 250 copies.
- October – Cliffhanger – TJ Middleton
- November – The Maze of Cadiz – Peter Cotton
- December – The Piano Teacher – Janice Y. K. Lee. Slipcased. 250 copies.
- January – The Coroner – MR Hall. 250 copies.
- February – Mr Toppit – Charles Elton
- March – The Kindly Ones – Jonathan Littell
- April – The Owl Killers – Karen Maitland. Leatherette boards. 250 copies.
- May – The Library of Shadows – Mikkel Birkegaard. Hardback exclusive.
- June – The Swansong of Wilbur McCrum – Briona Kita
- July – The Best of Men – Claire Letemendia
- August – Afterlife – Sean O’Brien
- September – Mathilda Savitch – Victor Lodato. Slipcased. 250 copies.
- October – Acts of Violence – Ryan David Jahn. Fingerprinted by the author. 250 copies.
- November – The Age of Orphans – Laleh Khadivi
- December – The Disappeared – M. R. Hall. 250 copies.
- January – Rupture – Simon Lelic. 250 copies.
- February – The Wives of Henry Oades – Johanna Moran. 250 copies.
- March – Strange Case of the Composer & His Judge – Patricia Duncker
- April – Chef – Jaspreet Singh
- May – The Holy Thief – William Ryan. 500 copies.
- June – The Priest – Gerard O’Donovan
- July – Ilustrado – Miguel Syjuco. 250 copies. Came with bookmark.
- August – Room – Emma Donoghue. 250 copies.
- September – I Am Number Four – Pittacus Lore. Slipcased. 500 copies.
- October – Insurrection – Robyn Young
- November – The Distant Hours – Kate Morton. 250 copies. Came with postcard.
- December – Snowdrops – A. D. Miller. 250 copies.
- January – The Facility – Simon Lelic. 250 copies.
- February – A Dark Anatomy – Robin Blake. 250 copies.
- March – Little Girl Lost – Brian McGilloway. 300 copies.
- April – Before I Go To Sleep – S. J. Watson. 500 copies. Gold sprayed page edges.
- May – An Agent of Deceit (The Silent Oligarch) – Chris Morgan Jones. 500 copies.
- June – Leela’s Book – Alice Albinia
- July – The Stranger’s Child – Alan Hollinghurst. 500 copies.
- August – The Straight Razor Cure – Daniel Polansky
- September – The Power of Six – Pittacus Lore. Slipcased. 500 copies.
- October – All That I Am – Anna Funder
- November – Midwinter Sacrifice – Mons Kallentoft
- December – Hawk Quest – Robert Lyndon
- January – The Flight – M. R. Hall. 400 copies.
- February – The English Monster – Lloyd Shepherd
- March – The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry – Rachel Joyce. Slipcased. 500 copies.
- April – Signs of Life – Anna Raverat. 350 copies.
- May – HHhH – Laurent Binet
- June – The Marlowe Papers – Ros Barber
- July – Summer of Dead Toys – Toni Hill
- August – The Dog Stars – Peter Heller. 400 copies. Issued with postcard.
- September – The Collini Case – Ferdinand Von Schirach
- October – The Sentinel – Lee and Andrew Child
- October – The Twelve – Justin Cronin. 500 copies.
- November – Dominion – Jon Connolly and Jennifer Ridyard
- December – Malice: The Faithful and the Fallen – John Gwynne. 500 copies.
- January – Wool – Hugh Howey. Slipcased. 500 copies.
- February – The Necessary Death of Lewis Winter – Malcolm Mackay. 350 copies.
- March – Queen’s Gambit – Elizabeth Fremantle
- April – Wise Men – Stuart Nadler. 350 copies.
- May – The Twelfth Department – William Ryan. 400 copies.
- June – The Scarlet Thief – Paul Fraser Collard
- July – The Ocean at the End of the Lane – Neil Gaiman. 700 copies.
- August – The Kills – Richard House. Slipcased. 500 copies.
- September – Black Chalk – Christopher Yates
- October – Solo: A James Bond Novel – William Boyd
- November – Bellman & Black – Diane Setterfield. 500 copies, with slipcase.
- December – The Verdict – Nick Stone
- January – The Wind is Not A River – Brian Payton. 350 copies.
- February – The Undertaking – Audrey Magee
- March – The Dynamite Room – Jason Hewitt. Came with exclusive letter.
- April – A Pleasure and a Calling – Phil Hogan
- May – The Bees – Laine Paull. Slipcased.
- June – Night Heron – Adam Brookes. Exclusively stamped.
- July – Smiler’s Fair – Rebecca Levene. 500 copies.
- August – Chain of Events – Frederik T Olsson
- September – The Vanishing Witch – Karen Maitland. Decorative boards. 350 copies.
- October – The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessey – Rachel Joyce. 500 copies.
- November – A Cruel Necessity – L. C. Tyler
- December – Some Luck – Jane Smiley. 350 copies.
- January – The Girl on the Train – Paula Hawkins → Check Abes | eBay
- February – Kind Worth Killing – Peter Swanson → Check Abes | eBay
- March – The Shore – Sara Taylor. 500 copies, lavender sprayed edges. → Check Abes | eBay
- April – The Shut Eye – Belinda Bauer → Check Abes | eBay
- May – Snowblind – Ragnar Jonasson. 500 copies, hardback exclusive. → Check Abes | eBay
- June – All Involved – Ryan Gattis. 500 copies, with slipcase. → Check Abes | eBay
- July – The Readers of the Broken Wheel Recommend – Katarina Bivald. 500 copies, black sprayed edges. → Check Abes | eBay
- August – Early One Morning – Virginia Baily. 500 copies, black sprayed edges. → Check Abes | eBay
- September – Trigger Mortis – Anthony Horowitz. 1000 copies, silver sprayed edges. → Check Abes | eBay
- October – The Book of Memory – Petina Gappah → Check Abes | eBay
- November – The Age of Reinvention – Karine Tull → Check Abes | eBay
- December – Nightblind – Ragnar Jonasson. 500 copies, hardback exclusive. → Check Abes | eBay